San Francisco SPCA traveling with your pet cat health certificate

Travel Certificate

Fly with Pets.

Pet-Travel Health Certificates

Planning a trip with your pet within the United States or internationally? You will more than likely need a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), also known as a Health Certificate. 

How to Get a Travel Health Certificate for Your Pet: ​

  1. Research the destination state’s or country’s pet-admission requirements on the US Dept. of Agriculture’s (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS)’s website.
  2. Complete this Pet-Travel Questionnaire at least two weeks prior to your travel date.
  3. Hospital staff will contact you within 48 hours to schedule an appointment after they’ve received the completed questionnaire.
  4. Bring pet-travel requirements for your destination to your Health Certificate appointment. This might include vaccines, blood tests, and exams as well as prohibitions like breed restrictions or a history of certain illnesses.

SPECIAL NOTICE: The SF SPCA is NOT responsible for monitoring changes in pet travel regulations or ensuring that veterinary services, transportation, or any other arrangements are made in accordance with your requirements for travel. It is your responsibility to ensure that your pet has met all the requirements of your destination.