Adoption Center Hours
Our Adoption Center is now open from 2-6 (Mon-Thur) and 10-6 (Fri-Sun)! We’re excited to welcome our community back onsite and you are invited to come see the adorable animals ready to find forever homes. We will accommodate walk-in adoptions whenever possible, but we recommend booking an appointment if you want to guarantee time with an adoption counselor. Click here to sign up for an appointment window.
Our Mission Adoption Center is located at 250 Florida Street (Map)
Monday – Tuesday: Closed
Wednesday – Friday: 1pm – 6pm
Saturday – Sunday: 10am – 5pm
The Adoption Process
The SF SPCA brings people and animals together. Our goal is to connect animals with adopters who love them and to inspire a lasting bond for all. We have an open adoption process and will help match your preferences to a pet who will fit them best.
- Adopters must be at least 18 years old
- Valid government issued photo ID must be provided
- Proof of address must be provided
If you have a resident dog, we do not require dog to dog introductions. However, if you wish to conduct one, please bring your dog to your appointment and we will be happy to accommodate.
In some instances we may ask for all household members to attend. Written landlord approval, or proof of home ownership may also be requested.
Standard Dog Adoption Fees
- $175 dogs*
- $400 puppies (under 5 months)*
*At the time of adoption, San Francisco residents pay a $27 San Francisco dog license fee.
Standard Cat Adoption Fees
- $125 cats over 5 months
- $200 kittens under 5 months (fee waived for 2nd kitten adopted within 30 days)
- All cats 7 years and up (seniors) have fee-waived adoptions!
We celebrate our veterans every day by making adult animals free for adoption! Proof of veteran status is required.
If you are interested in adopting a specific animal, please click on this link and complete a quick form. We will then email you information on our adoption process, FAQs, and details on how to confirm your interest in adopting.
New Adopter Assistance
- The SF SPCA provides a free, first medical exam at either of our veterinary hospitals for new adopters who adopt from the SF SPCA or one of our Bay Area rescue partners. The free medical exam is a health examination only. Guardians are responsible for post-adoption expenses related to medications, vaccines, diagnostics or treatments.
- Download our Cat Adoption Handbook, Kitten Adoption Handbook, Dog Adoption Handbook, or Puppy Adoption Handbook.
We’ve partnered with Purina to help new adopters and pet guardians find the right food for their pet. Try the Purina Pet Food Finder.