Cat & Dog Adoption Process
Finding the Right Animal for You
The SF SPCA believes in an adoption approach that considers important details for finding the right fit, such as a person's home, interests and lifestyle. We then match those with an animal's social, exercise and training needs.
Unlike “pass/fail” application programs, we strive to match people and animals through education and discovery. We accomplish this through conversation to create an effective, pleasant adoption experience — and most important — to make lasting matches.
Each situation, adopter and animal requires a different approach. And while we reserve the right to refuse an adoption, we always make every effort to work with you to address concerns or find the most appropriate companion animal.
Please plan on spending at least one hour for the adoption process — we’re confident that you’ll agree that this small investment of time will be well worth the countless hours of enjoyment that will result from finding “the perfect match.”
Requirements for Adoption
Before falling in love with one of our animals, please make sure you are aware of the following:
- Adopters must be at least 18 years old and present valid photo ID with proof of current address.
- Some adoptions require attendance of a training class.
- We encourage or may require all household members to meet the new dog or cat prior to adoption.
- If you have a dog and want to adopt another, please bring your resident dog.
- Written landlord approval, proof of home ownership, and/or home visit may be required.
- While we always make every effort to work with you to address concerns or find the most appropriate companion animal, we do reserve the right to refuse an adoption.