While most shelters require volunteers to be 18 years of age or older, the San Francisco SPCA is able to extend the opportunity to young volunteers to make a big impact in their community. Volunteer hours are earned, alongside points for cool things like SF SPCA swag, animal time, and even the opportunity to join our adult shelter volunteer program (for high school students).
- All Humane Heroes Orientations and Drop-Off Days will take place at the Mission Campus, located at 243 Alabama St.
- The Humane Hero program is built on the idea of providing community service opportunities to young animal advocates within their own community. Through donation drives, bake sales, information distribution (youtube videos, passing out fliers) and more, students learn what it means to help animals while helping the SF SPCA.
- Students earn both volunteer hours and Humane Heroes points, which can earn them cool prizes like SF SPCA gear and opportunities to participate in shelter volunteering.
- All Humane Heroes who attend our orientation will receive a tee-shirt to help them get started in their volunteer efforts.
- Students will receive the points schedule and points tracker at orientation.
- Additional points earning ideas are welcome to be discussed with our humane education team prior to completing the project.
- The membership fee for the program is $15, which covers the official t-shirt, membership perks, etc.
- Elementary and Middle schoolers must attend orientation with their guardian. High schoolers do not need a guardian at orientation.
- All participants musy attend the Humane Hero Orientation:
- Orientations are monthly on Saturdays- students and parent must attend the orientation to become a Humane Hero and begin building hours and points. RSVPs are required [register below], and we cap registrations due to room constraints.
- Elementary and Middle School students will have orientation from 10AM - 11 AM, High School students will have orientation from 12PM - 1PM
- Donation Drop-Ins are also monthly on Saturdays. These times are for Humane Heroes to drop off any collected dontions, tell us about their experiences in the community, get hours signed off, collect points, and recieve prizes. Donation Drop-Ins will also include animal time.
HIGH SCHOOL VOLUNTEERS: High schoolers looking to volunteer hands-on with animals in the shelter will be invited to join our volunteer training series after completing 250 points in our Humane Heroes program.
We are also in need of volunteers who can come for weekly shifts to care for our Humane Education Animals. This includes cleaning, feeding, bathing, and socializing animals such as pigeons, rats, guinea pigs, reptiles, and chinchillas. If you are interested in joining this small but mighty group of volunteers, please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration for orientations will open September 13th, 2016
- Points Orientation 10/1 Elementary/Middle School: Sorry, registration is now closed.
- Points Orientation 10/1 High School: Sorry, registration is now closed.
- Points Orientation 11/19 Elementary/Middle School: Register now, 1 seat remaining.
- Points Orientation 11/19 High School: Register now.
- Points Orientation 12/17 Elementary/Middle School: Register now.
- Points Orientation 12/17 High School: Register now.