While most shelters require volunteers to be 18 years of age or older, the San Francisco SPCA is able to extend the opportunity to young volunteers to make a big impact in their community. Volunteer hours are earned, alongside points for cool things like SF SPCA swag, animal time, and even the opportunity to join our adult shelter volunteer program (for high school students).
- All Humane Heroes Orientations and Drop-Off Days will take place at the Mission Campus, located at 243 Alabama St.
- The Humane Hero program is built on the idea of providing community service opportunities to young animal advocates within their own community. Through donation drives, bake sales, information distribution (youtube videos, passing out fliers) and more, students learn what it means to help animals while helping the SF SPCA.
- Students earn both volunteer hours and Humane Heroes points, which can earn them cool prizes like SF SPCA gear and opportunities to participate in shelter volunteering.
- Students will receive the points schedule and points tracker at orientation.
- Additional points earning ideas are welcome to be discussed with our humane education team prior to completing the project.
- The membership fee for the program is $20, which covers the official t-shirt, membership perks, etc.
- Elementary and Middle schoolers must attend orientation with their guardian. High schoolers do not need a guardian at orientation.
- All participants must attend the Humane Hero Orientation:
- Orientations are monthly during weekday evenings- students and parent must attend the orientation to become a Humane Hero and begin building hours and points. Registration is required.
- Donation Drop-Ins are also monthly on Fridays and Saturdays. These times are for Humane Heroes to drop off any collected dontions, tell us about their experiences in the community, get hours signed off, collect points, and recieve prizes. Donation Drop-Ins will also include animal time.
There are no sections scheduled at this time. We post sections regularly, so please check again soon!