To apply for financial aid for this program, click here!
Our shelter generally requires volunteers to be 18 years of age or older. However, we are able to extend the opportunity and privilege of joining our shelter cat or dog volunteer teams to mature, responsible, enthusiastic and highly committed students in grades 9-12. This important responsibility includes spending time with shelter cats or dogs, assisting with their direct care and being available to answer the public's questions. The High School Volunteer Program provides many opportunities to learn more about cats or dogs, help the animals at our shelter, meet other teens interested in companion animals and explore animal related careers. The program fosters skills in personal accountability, animal handling and inter-personal communication.
- This program is available during the school year between October - April. Those wishing to volunteer over the summer should complete the High School Volunteer Program prior to April.
- Class meets once a week for three weeks, from 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM.
- The program fee is $90 per participant.
- Attendance at all three training classes is required—sorry, no “make-ups.”
- Refunds will not be provided to participants who are unable to follow-through. Program fees supplement our training classes and help offset the costs associated with staffing and materials.
- Unfortunately we cannot provide refunds, changes, or switches of any kind.
The cat or dog volunteer training courses screen and prepare students for independent volunteer work in our shelter. Graduates sign up for a weekly volunteer shift, enabling them to volunteer throughout high school. To graduate from the High School Volunteer Program, students must attend all required classes and demonstrate:
- Respectful and thoughtful communication with fellow volunteers, staff, animals, and general public
- Maturity, safety, and responsibility with strong listening skills
- The ability to follow multiple directions and work independently
- Commitment to the required time obligation of at least eight hours each month during regular shelter hours for at least six months
- Generosity and enthusiasm, embracing the array of responsibilities associated with animal care and with being a contributing member of a team
- Kindness, compassion, and patience for all people and animals
Spring 2016 registration begins Monday, December 7th.
- December - CAT - 12/2, 12/9, 12/16: Sorry, this section is full.
- December - DOG - 12/2, 12/9, 12/16: Sorry, this section is full.