Health Certificates

**Pet Travel Health Advisory**

Please note that the CDC has put a temporary ban on pets coming in from certain countries. If you are traveling to those countries with your pets, you may not be able to bring them back into the US. For more information, see the CDC announcement here

Traveling With Your Pet

Traveling with your pet can be very stressful whether it is domestic or international travel. In this page we want to help guide you on what resources to look for, agencies to contact, and what information you will need before your appointment with us for your travel needs! Please read this web page entirely, at the end of this page will be the required questionnaire form that will prompt us to call and schedule your appointment.

What to Expect

Health Certificated can only be issued on the day of an appointment and cannot be issued retroactively.

Before your visit, we ask that you personally research what is needed for the destination you plan to travel to.

To get started, complete the traveling document questionnaire. The questionnaire will allow us to review your travel information and needs. Our staff will then contact you directly to schedule your appointment.

We will use this information to assist you in creating the best plan to getting all your documentation together for your travels.

The SF SPCA is not responsible for ensuring that veterinary services, flights, and/or any other transportation arrangements are booked in accordance with requirements for travel.

Airline Requirements

We also recommend going on your airlines website and assure that you meet all of your airline’s requirements as they may differ from the destination requirements. Some airlines require health certificates while other do not so calling and checking in with them to understand their requirements before your appointment at the San Francisco SPCA can help us get you and your pet ready for travel!

Emotional Support Animals

If your pet is an Emotional Support Animal (ESA), some airlines require that an ESA form be submitted before you travel with them. If it is require, each individual airline has their own specific ESA form. If you are traveling on multiple airlines, you will need multiple ESA forms. We recommend that you research whether your airline would require this and be prepared for this form to go home with you after your appointment.

Domestic Traveling

When traveling domestic the USDA APHIS (United States Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service) has provided a website where you can visit and view what every state requires from you when arriving and traveling to each state.

Some states require a CVI (Certificate of Veterinary Inspection) in order to be able to enter the state.

International Traveling

International Traveling can be extremely stressful; we will guide you to the best of our knowledge to the right steps for a successful, stress-free travel experience!

The link below is the USDA APHIS website that will tell you exactly what is required for the arrival to the country of your choosing.

It will direct you to the country and you will follow the prompts, be sure to select the country and species of your pet(s) and follow their prompts to view the correct requirements necessary. 

Rabies Titer (FAVN) Testing

This can impede on your traveling plans, please keep this in mind when booking your appointment and travel plans. There are many countries that can require this testing, the link above can guide you to whether you may need this testing to travel. Please note that these tests take a few weeks to a month to return.

Ready To Adopt?