To apply for financial aid for this program, click here !
If you’re in grades 3-8, join us at the SFSPCA for an active day of service in order to help us go above and beyond in enriching the animals’ lives while at the shelter! While our animals receive the best care, we are always looking for those who can help us “spice it up” for our animals while they await their fur-ever home. Volunteers may devise and create a variety of enrichment toys, adoption promotion materials, and participate in keeping the shelter grounds and animal habitats fresh and clean (not to mention get some hands-on socialization time). Community Service Saturday fulfills school or club community service requirements.
Middle School (6-8th grade) volunteers can choose a specific emphasis of dogs (Pup-Tastic Saturday) or cats (Claw-Some Saturday). Each Saturday will contain a variety of tasks centered on an assortment of animals; however, the emphasis will be upon either dogs or cats for the respective Saturdays.
- Pup-Tastic Saturday tasks may vary through-out the year depending on need. Some tasks may include: Dog socialization, completing interactive dog toys, adoption bandanas/posters, shelter beautification projects, and animal habitat maintenance & cleaning (scooping poop!).
- Claw-Some Saturday tasks may vary through-out the year depending on need. Some tasks may include: Cat socialization, completing cat shelters, adoption bandanas / posters, shelter beautification projects, and animal habitat maintenance & cleaning (scooping poop!).
Elementary School: (3-5th grade) volunteers will assist in a variety of age-appropriate shelter tasks, animal-welfare lessons, animal-related games and crafts, and animal socialization. Hands-on animal time will be approximately 1 hour, and animals will depend on the availability of the shelter.
- Little Paws CSS tasks may include: Animal lessons, cat/dog/small animal socialization, animal games, enrichment toy making, and shelter beautification projects.
- The program fee: $55 per Saturday.
- Community Service Saturdays run from October-April. We are fully booked for the remainder of the 2015-2016 school year.
- Middle School: 9:30am - 3pm
- Elementary School: 9:30am - 2pm
- Guardians can drop-off and pick-up volunteers at the Humane Education entrance located at 243 Alabama Street. Please arrive on time.
- Appropriate attire for both variations of Community Service Saturdays includes long pants, t-shirt, and closed-toed shoes with rubber soles.
- All participants will need to bring a lunch.
Spring 2016 registration begins Monday, December 7th.