Join Hornblower Cruises for the 9th Annual “Dog Day on the Bay”, benefitting the San Francisco SPCA’s Puppy Dog Tales Reading Program Date:
Join Hornblower Cruises on Sunday, June 2, 2013 for Dog Day on the Bay, a champagne brunch cruise to benefit the San Francisco SPCA. The boat sets sail at 10 a.m. from Hornblower Landing (Pier 3 on San Francisco's Embarcadero), and everyone is encouraged to bring their well-behaved dogs.
During the two-hour cruise, guests enjoy a gourmet brunch buffet and free-flowing sparkling wine, live entertainment, scenic San Francisco Bay views, raffle prizes, and a souvenir boarding photo. Dogs are spoiled with treats at the bow-wow buffet, special canine water stations and a specially-constructed outdoor grass deck for doggie bathroom breaks. Well-behaved hounds of all sizes and breeds are welcome, and dogs must be kept on a leash throughout the cruise.
The event's beneficiary, the Puppy Dog Tales Reading Program (PDT), is part of the SF SPCA's Animal Assisted Therapy Department. The program aims to promote literacy in at-risk San Francisco children, whether English is their second language or they live with a learning disability, anxiety or shyness. PDT participants learn to love books by reading out loud to SF SPCA therapy dogs, which removes the pressure of classmates or adults, and work with supportive volunteers on vocabulary, grammar and other challenges.
Since it started as a pilot program at the San Francisco Public Library’s Chinatown branch in 2007, PDT has expanded to several sites throughout San Francisco including SF Unified schools and local Boys & Girls Clubs.
Canine guests enjoy complimentary entrance, while tickets are $125 for adults, $75 for children ages 4-12, and free for ages 3 and under.
To ensure pet safety, SF SPCA veterinarians and dog monitors will cruise with the group, and special netting on the ship’s rails protects pups big and small.
For information and reservations, visit www.dogdayonthebay.com  or call 415-788-7020. To learn more about Hornblower’s dining, special event and private charter cruises, go to www.hornblower.com .
For more on the SF SPCA, visit www.sfspca.org . Special thanks to this year’s Dog Day on the Bay sponsor KSFO-AM.
Remember, a few simple rules will make 2013 Dog Day on the Bay fun for everyone:
- One dog per adult is welcome. The event is not open to dogs under six months of age.
- Waiver forms (provided upon ticket purchase) must be completed prior to boarding.
- Dogs must wear current rabies vaccination and identification tags to board.
- All dogs MUST be on a leash at all times.
- Owners must clean up after their dogs.
- No dogs in heat are allowed.
- The cruise is not recommended for dogs that are sensitive to movement or prone to motion sickness.
- This event is not appropriate for dogs that are unpredictable in crowds or dislike strangers or other dogs.
- This event is for dogs and people only. Please do not bring other pets.