San Francisco SPCA Kicks Off Month-Long Chihuahua Celebration with “The Whole Enchihuahua” on May 1 Date:
The San Francisco SPCA has announced that it will offer free spay/neuter procedures for all Chihuahuas and Chihuahua mixes for the entire month of May in an effort to curb overpopulation and abandonment of this cute critter. To kick-off the month-long campaign, the SF SPCA is hosting “The Whole Enchihuahua” for dogs of all breeds and sizes at Dolores Park on Sunday, May 1, from 1 - 4:00 p.m. The SF SPCA will also continue the “Small Dog. Big Heart.” Campaign in May, offering $100 adoption fee specials for dogs under 20 pounds.
“Chihuahuas, unfortunately, are often victims of their own cuteness, leading many to buy a dog before they’re necessarily ready to commit to proper care and training throughout the life of their pet, so the animals end up in shelters” said Dr. Jennifer Scarlett, DVM, Co-President of the SF SPCA. “Through ‘The Whole Enchihuahua’ and our month-long commitment to free spay/neuter procedures, we’re hoping to raise awareness of the importance of responsible pet guardianship.”
“The Whole Enchihuahua” event will feature a number of fun activities, including:
- A runway costume contest for dogs of all breeds and sizes from 2 - 3:00 p.m. Participants will compete for prizes that include two round trip tickets on Virgin America, a two night stay at the hotel Monaco and two tickets to Grub Crawl. Registration for the contest will occur at Dolores Park on the day of the event.
- $100 adoption fee specials for dogs 20 lbs and under. Along with a new best friend, each adoption includes a certificate for a Chipotle burrito.
- Additional dog adoptions from partner pet rescue organizations, including Animal Care and Control, Family Dog Rescue and Muttville.
- “Ask a Vet” session with Dr. Jeannette Goh, DVM, Director of the SF SPCA Spay/Neuter Clinic.
- Dog training advice from behavior expert Amy Kott
- Delicious food from Off the Grid trucks and live mariachi music by Trio sol de America
- A prize wheel, face painting and much more
Also joining the event will be the Chihuahua Meetup group of San Francisco.
The Whole Enchihuahua event will be made possible thanks to the support of the following sponsors: 7x7, Off the Grid, San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department, Virgin America, BMW, KOIT, Kimpton Hotels, Grub Crawl, Chipotle and Trio Sol de America.
For more information about “The Whole Enchihuahua” the event visit www.sfspca.org/thewholeenchihuahua