Schedule Regular Check-ups
Just like humans, dogs and cats need regular check-ups—at least once a year. We recommend an exam every six months for senior pets and pets with chronic medical conditions.
During these check-ups, our veterinary teams conduct a full physical exam, ensure that your pet is up-to-date on vaccinations and parasite control, complete required lab work, and address any health concerns you might have, including dietary or behavioral questions. Considering age, lifestyle, breed, and risk factors, we base our recommendations on the needs of your pet.
Regular exams are the best way to prevent or detect illnesses that can impair your pet’s quality of life if left unchecked.
Busy day? Skip the waiting room!
For routine care, simply make an appointment and drop off your cat or dog at the San Francisco SPCA Veterinary Hospital at 201 Alabama Street before 9 a.m. and pick up your animal before 6 p.m. We’ll examine your animal and contact you with any questions or if unexpected tests or procedures are recommended.
- For non-urgent care for animals seen within the last 18 months
- Pets over 10 years of age require veterinarian approval
- Exam fee: $64—deposit and payment in full required
- Appointments: 415.554.3030
Keep Vaccinations Up to Date
Highly contagious viruses, which can be fatal or very expensive to treat, can often be avoided by staying on top of your pet’s vaccine schedule. Vaccinations are administered at both of our hospitals during routine scheduled exams. We recommend vaccinations and other preventive care based on an animal’s lifestyle, age, and risk factors. Vaccinations for dogs include canine parvovirus, distemper, adenovirus-2, canine rabies, bordetella, and leptospirosis. Vaccinations for cats include feline herpesvirus, feline calicivirus, feline panleukopenia virus, feline rabies, and feline leukemia (FELV).
Visit Our Pharmacies
Our pharmacies at the SF SPCA Veterinary Hospital and Pets Unlimited Veterinary Hospital are open seven days a week to fill prescriptions and provide over-the-counter products, such as topical flea preventive , skin and ear care products and veterinarian-recommended products for urinary clean-up and environmental flea control.We also carry a wide variety of prescription foods, which may be recommended by your veterinarian to help treat a range of issues.
- To refill prescription medications at the SF SPCA Veterinary Hospital, Mission Campus, call 415.522.3554. Please allow 48 hours for prescription refills. By law, only a veterinarian who has examined an animal in the last 12 months can authorize a refill.
- To refill prescription food at the SF SPCA Veterinary Hospital, Mission Campus, call 415.522.3555.
- To contact the pharmacy at the Pets Unlimited Care Center on our Pacific Heights Campus, call 415.568.3016.