If you are in grades 6-12, join us behind the scenes at our animal shelter to help care for SF SPCA animals, learn more about responsible pet guardianship, and experience the satisfaction that comes from helping others.
Community Service Saturdays include assisting employees with feeding the animals, cleaning their habitats, and other daily duties at the shelter. This opportunity fulfills school community or club service requirements.
- Community Service Saturdays are offered on select dates each month for five hours. Students are expected to be on time and participate for the entire five hour shift.
What to Wear and What to Bring
- Appropriate attire includes close-toed shoes with rubber soles, long pants, and a t-shirt. Bring a lunch.
- Participants need to be in grades 6-12.
- Students need to demonstrate eagerness to help with animal shelter and care duties, respectfulness to the animals, and the ability to follow instructions.
- This program is not recommended for students with severe allergies to cats or dogs.
- Students need to be able to participate in all of the physical and learning activities involved in the day. Because of staffing limitations, we may not be able to accommodate special individual needs.
Read our Cancellation & Refund policy.