Canine Good Citizen (CGC) is a certification program developed by the American Kennel Club (AKC) that is designed to reward dogs who have good manners at home and in the community. The CGC Program is open to mixed breed and purebred dogs, and stresses responsible pet ownership for owners and basic good manners for dogs.
This 6 week class will prepare human and canine students for the optional Canine Good Citizen test. (Please note that testing is not included in the class and must be registered for separately.) Class covers in detail each of the 10 items included on the CGC test:
- Accepting a friendly stranger
- Sitting politely for petting
- Appearance and grooming
- Out for a walk (walking on a loose lead)
- Walking through a crowd
- Sit and down on command and Staying in place
- Coming when called
- Reaction to another dog
- Reaction to distraction
- Supervised separation
Frequency & Duration: 1 hour per week for 6 weeks
Fee: $200 (If your dog was adopted from a 501(c)3 rescue group or animal shelter, or has taken a class with us in the past year, the fee is $175)
Course prerequisites: Successful completion of Adult Manners 1 or an equivalent Beginner-level training course. Dogs must be able to be handled gently by a friendly stranger and be able work around people and other dogs on leash with no reactivity.
Class includes: CGC Participant's Handbook and Certificate of Completion
Class capacity: 8 dogs
Location: SF SPCA Mission campus
- Thursdays, October 26 - December 7 (skips Nov. 23), 1:00 - 2:00 pm with Kimberlee: Register now, 3 seats remaining.
- Wednesdays, November 1 - December 13 (skips Nov. 22), 7:45 - 8:45 pm with Kimberlee: Register now, 4 seats remaining.