Attention local Girl and Boy Scout troops: The San Francisco SPCA can help you meet some of the requirements for many animal-related Badges and Journeys! We can also help troops who are interested in creating their own animal-related badge by participating in service learning projects and educational activities that help animals.
We welcome local troops to visit our shelter for a special presentation and tour that includes several fun activities necessary to earn a variety of badges. Program activities can include learning how to care for a variety of pets, feeding homeless animals, learning about pet overpopulation and the importance of spaying and neutering, and learning how to make pets feel healthy, safe, and comfortable. Additional activities and topics, such as wildlife, endangered species, world animal issues, and service animals, may be covered upon request.
- Scout programs may only be scheduled on weekdays during the school year.
- Arrangements for the program must be made at least one month in advance.
- The program fee is $5 per participant. Badges are not included.
- Please note that short-term youth volunteer opportunities in the shelter are limited to the Community Service Saturday program only.
- Youth with severe allergies to animals should not attend.
- Would your scouts like to host a donation drive? Please see our Current Wish List for in-kind items that we need regularly at the SF SPCA.
How to Request a Scout Program
Email us the following information:
- Troop leader’s name, address, phone, and email address
- At least three preferred dates (one month's notice is required)
- Preferred time of day for program
- Troop name/number
- Number of youth
- Grade of youth
- Merit badge or award desired
- Any additional information, including special accommodations or specific activities and topics you would like covered
*Photo credit: Jennifer Jamieson Photography