Career Opportunity: Accountant
Position Title: Accountant
Classification: Non-Exempt, Regular, Part-time (16 hours)
Date: September 2013
Accountant performs basic accounting duties under close supervision related to accounts payable, cash receipts, and general ledger transactions. This is an entry level position.
Essential Duties and Functions:
Prepare Bank Deposits
- Count cash and verify Point of Sale (“POS”) settlement reports.
- Endorse checks as required.
- Make change and prepare POS cash register starting banks.
- Assist in GL account reconciliations.
Process Revenue and Expense Transactions
- Process Invoices and Check Requests through Accounts Payable.
- Record POS and miscellaneous cash receipts related journal entries.
- Record donation related journal entries.
- Scan and attach source documents electronically or file documents manually as assigned.
- File documents as assigned.
- Practice and encourage the humane treatment of animals.
- Provide quality customer service to clients, volunteers, and staff while actively promoting our mission, services, programs and events.
- Promote donation and giving opportunities as appropriate.
- Work cooperatively with all volunteers and recognize the talent and commitment they bring to the Society.
- Ensure a safe work environment; following all safety guidelines and modeling safe work practices.
- Take immediate action to address any safety concerns that could put a staff member, volunteer, client, animal, or the organization at risk.
- Maintain a clean, healthy, and sanitary work area; follow all pest and rodent control protocols. Participate in keeping the SF SPCA campus clean and well maintained.
Diversity and Inclusiveness
- Work effectively with individuals and colleagues from diverse communities and cultures.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Regularly sits at a computer station and repetitively enters transactions.
- Typically stands, bends, stoops, and crouches while filing documents manually.
- Frequently lifts, carries and positions objects weighing up to 30 lbs when moving supplies and records.
- May require weekday overtime.
- Consistently exposed to animals and animal allergens under conditions with limited alternatives available.
Reporting Relationships and Contacts:
Reports directly to the Director of Finance / Controller
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Commitment to the mission, values, goals, and success of the San Francisco SPCA
- Detail oriented and organized.
- Strong technological aptitude, particularly excel expertise.
- One year experience in general ledger accounting, accounts payable or accounting college work preferred.
- Cash handling and non-profit organization experience preferred.
Salary and Benefits:
The starting hourly rate for this position is $14.00 or DOE. Eligible only for benefits required by law.
The SF SPCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from individuals who contribute to our diversity. We are an at-will employer and conduct pre-employment background checks and drug screening. This job description reflects the assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
To apply for this position, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and list "Accountant" in the subject line. Thank you!